In is down, down is front

Friday, October 17, 2008

Italia

I took my mother on a tour of Italy for her birthday. We saw so much of the countryside, I think I need a vacation from the vacation. :)An amazing view of the Alps on the plane ride over.The Sistine Chapel isn't the only beautifully painted part of the Vatican.Michelangelo's "Pieta" in St. Peter's Basilica was amazing. The guy was only 24 when he carved it. My photo-montage of the Colosseum. Impressive structure, no?Roman gladiators wandering the grounds.The Trevi Fountain in Rome (as seen in Roman Holiday and Three Coins in the Fountain), largest free standing fountain in Rome.The Isle of Capri, playground for the rich and famous (and home to fashion mavens and movie stars) sure was swanky. Lovely weather though, and perfectly blue water.Pompeii was probably my all time favorite part of the trip. Romans were unbelievably technologically advanced - running water, pedestrian crosswalks, fast food stalls, paved roads, spas, public toilets, sporting arenas... not a far cry from modern life. These were once gladiator barracks.Italians are very serious about their gelato. I tried some rosemary and raspberry gelato in San Gimignano at Pluripremiata Gelataria and it was superb. This year's Italian gelato champion, in fact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home