In is down, down is front

Monday, June 23, 2008

Canyonlands National Park

Canyonlands National Park is amazing. It actually looks out over the same canyons as Dead Horse Point. In fact, you can see Dead Horse from Island in the Sky, the only paved section of Canyonlands. (And the Island in the Sky road is great for a motorcycle - lots of twisties, hardly any cars.) It reminded me of the Grand Canyon with a 270 degree view. And nothing quite puts you in touch with your humanity like sitting on the edge of a cliff, knowing that a huge drop is mere feet away.We then attempted to take the Schafer Trail down into the canyon. My bike hit a patch of deep sand and down I went, taking off part of my brake lever in the process. So we scrapped the Schafer Trail idea for this trip. I don't know if I could have made it down all those switchbacks anyway. They're pretty steep. (Ha ha - now I have to do it next time, or I'm going to be a wuss for life.) And this is Monument Basin, as seen from the Grand Viewpoint. The National Park Service actually has some really nice interactive panoramas that capture the impressive splendor better than one measly photo.

1 Comments:

  • This brings back so many memories! Before kids, my hubby and spent a couple days at Canyonlands. Thanks for refreshing my memory of how amazing it is.

    By Blogger MoneySavingMom, At 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home